A GM's Lament...Sorta

I haven't posted a new update in ages I know. Blogging runs away from me when life demands my full attention. My blog mostly serves as a means to feel bad about myself for not updating it more often. To that end it excels in it's purpose.

Busy is not a term I often use to describe my life. My social calendar is generally wide open for whatever comes up. Lately I've been running 3 different games (and starting a 4th, because who needs free time, amiright?) for 3 very different groups of friends. I've got no complaints about that. I'm not having difficulty running them or keeping them separated in my head, but it does suck up a lot of the time I normally spend on updating my blog. This isn't a bad thing. I mean I got priorities, even for my GM blog, and for me running games is obviously a priority over writing the games up in some sort of bloggy mess. Blog content feels, to me (an probably foolishly so if I'm honest), like it needs to have something more to it for mysterious people's of the internets to pay any attention. 

The blog write ups with pictures originally started as my attempt to get a specific batch of players more focused on the game and help remind them of what had happened during the game. That had mixed results, and to be fair that group still drives me up the wall sometimes with their half assery. They loved the write ups. They loved reading about what a badass their characters were, but then when it came time to play it's like they had forgotten everything they had done or said or thought as the character. That, to me at least, defeated the purpose of me then spending MORE time trying to get them into the game.

So what does all that even mean for my largely ignored blog? Well it means I'll focus less on the specifics of the games and more on the things I learned from running them. That and maybe still some system reviews, because I've got a couple RPGs from kickstarter that are just not good. I've been putting that stuff off, because reading through some of that crap is profoundly bad and I feel a little bad ripping apart an indie publisher, but hey fuck them for taking my money and giving me a shit product. I'm looking at you Mr Offscipt, sorry.

Comments

Popular Posts