April: Mythoard Review

This is the month I've been waiting for since I signed up for Mythoard. When if finally got here I felt inspired to write a review. So what is this Mythoard you are reviewing you might ask? Even if you didn't, I'm gonna tell you.
It's a monthly subscription "box" for table-top RPG fans. Unlike some other subscription services that have frequently fell flat of my hopes and expectations that were based on their fanciest lucky price box pictures they tried to pass off as their regular swag (I'm looking at you lootcrate), Mythoard always has something that I will use in one of my games.

So without further ado, here's this month's haul:


Tower of the Everflame: I guess the best way to describe this is a location card and plot hook. These are Mythoard's own world that it builds more of each month with a new one of these card things. In theory some of the other content is all meant to take place in the same world, but most of what's in here is system pretty neutral. These location cards usually have some adventure hooks or location descriptions to help out a GM looking for some ideas on where to take their game. Handily already three hole punched for people that have binders.



Map and Dungeon Design Kit from Square Hex: Oubliette Magazine #9 is zine sized and packed with dungeon maps, magic spell and items and some Labrynth Lord game content. Who doesn't like ready made fit anywhere maps? There is also a sample of one of the gaming map pads that Square Hex is so famous for among those who pay attention to such things (for those that don't, they've done 11 successfully Kickstarter campaigns for their TTRPG accessories) The little map symbol key is nice too.


Two DragonQuest Adventures: Both of which are out of print for an out of print classic DragonQuest a game I never played (and probably never will) but according to the Wikipedia article I read moments ago, it was first published in 1980 and was one of the first games to utilize a skill system and had a more involved character creation process that offered greater customization. While I don't know that I'll ever get much use out of these, but the artwork is pretty great and there are big location maps in there.


Pathfinder Adventure: It isn't my system of choice, but it is for a lot of people. I've toyed with the idea of running Pathfinder game, but I don't know that I wanna work on getting people involved in it that much. That being said though, there is always great content in Pathfinder adventures and sourcebooks that can be used for other systems.



Lichfield by David Guyll & Melissa Fisher from Awful Good Games: Confession time, this is the whole reason I became a subscriber to Mythoard in the first place when I found out it would be a mythoard exclusive at least until sometime in the fall. I am a fan of the other Dungeon World supplements and playbooks Awful Good Games have put out. I am eagerly awaiting A Sundered World to be released. This is adventure is an open retelling of the Silent Hill games. It has a very similar idea behind it. "A Dungeon World adventure you say? But doesn't that defeat the purpose of the game? Aren't you supposed to play to find out what happens?" Yes, that's true, but this is more a collection of plot hooks and angles to get your party involved in the dealings of this village. It's more like a lot of loose ideas that you tighten up with some of your own. Definitely glad I subscribed to Mythoard to get this.

Overall Rating: I'd buy this again. If I'd known what was in the subscription box before I got it I still would have signed up for it. I am not sitting here raging about the money I spent on this and planning my email to unsubscribe as I have with other subscription crates after getting a second month's box.



Comments

Popular Posts